Saturday, September 6, 2008

Elections

It is no secret that this year's presidential election will be history in the making. This is the perfect opportunity to teach our children about the importance of voting. So, we decided to order a unit study on the elections, in order to give our daughters a better understanding of our government and the voting process. We chose a four week course by Amanda Bennett at http://www.unitstudy.com .
I love Ms. Bennett's thorough research of the unit studies she puts together for home schoolers. She divides her studies into doable lessons making it not only very informative but fun for kids. She includes weekly activities and books that tie into the subject matter. She also gives several sites for the kids to go to for more information.
I am looking forward to really getting the girls involved in this election. I randomly asked them, "if you had to vote right now, not knowing much about the candidates that are running for president, who would you vote for?" It was interesting to hear their choices. My youngest, without hesitation, answers, "Obama!" My oldest, replies, "can I vote, neither!" (after asking for more time to think about it) I can't wait to see if their choices will change after the unit study, especially since they will be required to study each candidate more closely!

1 comments:

AmandaBennett said...

Hello! I am so glad that you and your girls are using the Elections Unit Study, and thanks for blogging about it. This is such an exciting election, and I agree with you that this is a wonderful learning opportunity. Enjoy the adventure!

Blessings,
Amanda B.
www.unitstudy.com